Monday, June 25, 2007

Spouse Support (or not.)

This weekend, I was able to speak with many of you who have struggled with spouse support and our challenge. For the sake of those involved, you will remain anonymous (except for my poor husband).

We have at least one of us who is thrilled with the way her husband is helping her. They go on walks and he has tried to support her in every way possible.

We have another who's husband left M&M's on the table on Saturday and apparently, had no concept of "game" until Sunday. Once he found out about the money, he almost made our member run home alongside the car!

Thomas tries really hard to be compassionate, but I think it is hard for a lifetime skinny person to understand what I am trying to do. So, there I sat last night with another member of our group, while our husbands ordered chips and salsa and munched on them in front of our faces! Thomas never would have ordered them, had it been just the two of us, but the other husband ordered them and Thomas had no problem eating them.

Where does your spouse rank? Are they supportive? Have you told them about the cash prize yet? If so, how did it change their perspective?

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yes, I told Jason and he thinks it a great idea. For some reason, my thin husband thinks he needs to lose some weight too so he is actually trying to be good himself. He is supportive but will still suggest things like "let's order pizza" or "do you want me to pick up some candy?" and that makes it hard. For him, losing weight is as simple as not sweetening his iced tea for a few weeks and he could shed 10 pounds. Me, I'd have to live on carrot sticks and rice cake and I'd still probably gain 5. So to answer, yes mine is supportive, no he wouldn't do something to intentionally try to make me cave, but he also doesn't have to be as disciplined as I do.

Unknown said...

My husband, Scott, is very supportive of my efforts. However, he's always been thin. I have been doing well, but can't get motivated to exercise often anymore. Any tips?

PB said...

My husband took me to Mexican Inn only if I promised to "purge" afterwards. Does anyone know what that means? Go for a walk? Exercise? You know when I told everyone about the M & M's? I thought I had eaten them all but I guess not because I found the package on the counter again. My only concern is they tasted funny, sort of like ex-lax. Come to think of it, they didn't have a hard candy shell... After I ate them I found my husband in the corner wringing his hands saying something about getting out of debt the easy way. Oops, gotta run.

Tami said...

Kelli - I am trying to get motivated to exercise as well. Melissa Ford and I are members at 24 Hour Fitness and I love it. It is nice to have someone there who pushes me to exercise, although we haven't been as disciplined as we want to be. Do you live close to anyone else in our group?

Pam - I can just picture that scene in my mind...

T-N-T said...

Pam - I TOTALLY can visualize the whole story!!

Trey is supportive, I guess. He doesn't ever eat anything. When he went out with the guys to the revealing Rangers game, he ordered a salad. He always orders a salad everywhere we go...disgusting!! I guess I should take notes.